INTERVIEW - “A memory for eternity” Michael Heß about the EP Landscape of Sorrow


Tales of Mike, a project by Michael Heß to honor his late brother Markus, debuted with the EP Landscape of Sorrow in August 2023. This 14-minute blend of epic heavy and doom metal was followed by a physical release in January 2024 via Fetzner Death Records. Here, an interview with Michael Heß reveals the fascinating story behind the EP.

Serial Metalbums: Can you tell us about your EP "Landscape of Sorrow"? What inspired you for this EP?

Michael Heß: Hello, first of all, thank you for the interview request. I was inspired by a sad incident in my friend group. I immediately grabbed the guitar and played the opening melody of RIP (Landscape of Sorrow) for the first time.

That was the beginning of Tales of Mike.I then worked on more demo songs, where Henrik Schaller already played two solos for 'The Eye' and 'Black Forest'. But the melody of RIP just wouldn't leave my head. So I started to finish writing the song. And it was clear to me that this song should be a song about my late brother, who died of bone cancer in 2010. Since the other songs were all instrumental, I thought it would be nice if someone would sing to it. So I wrote to Gonzalo Civita from HeléH/Tribal because I think his voice on the first HeléH  album is just brilliant. Gonzalo immediately agreed because he really liked the song. I asked my daughter Shannon if she wanted to write the lyrics for her uncle. During this lyric discussion, a lot of things went through my head. Mainly because his life story was also closely connected to the dark orphanage chapter we both had experienced in our childhood. So I had to deal with something that was slumbering somewhere inside me. It wasn't easy for me, but looking back at everything, I'm glad I did it and was able to process the events of our past better. That was the starting point for the EP.

Serial Metalbums: Tell us about the recording process for the EP. What did you learn from this experience?

Michael Heß: Originally, I only wanted to do the RIP song. But we liked it so much that we decided to do an EP. And when it came to guitar solos, I asked Henrik Schaller if he wanted to play on the EP. He immediately agreed and I'm glad because I think he's one of the best out there. Musically as well as a human being. So I can say that I'm making music with friends. It can't get any better than that.

Serial Metalbums: Are you satisfied with the final result? And  do you want to get it out to a wider audience?

Michael Heß: Me and my family are overjoyed with the tribute EP. That's the most important thing. Always having something to remember him by is a nice thing. Some people have also written to me and thanked me for the music because it helps them, too, to deal with their blows of fate or the one's of their loved ones. That touches me because I didn't expect that. That's the beauty of music.

I think the EP has already received a lot of attention because of all the reviews and the CD release. I didn't expect that. We came out of nowhere and received great support. That's extraordinary in my eyes and I thank everyone who mentioned Tales of Mike in any way.

Serial Metalbums: What do you want to tell listeners with this EP?

Michael Heß: Maybe that you should never forget your loved ones. That was my personal motivation behind it. "A memory for eternity"

Serial Metalbums: How did you started your project? And who are your musical influences?

Michael Heß: I've actually been playing in my "quiet little room" for 20 years. At the end of 2022, I thought I wanted to record things properly for the first time. And with the sad news I mentioned, I became active. That's how it started.

My musical influences are wide-ranging. I would say that the heavy/thrash/doom metal of the 90s influenced me the most. That's why I called myself Tales of Mike, every song is a different story. And it is important to me that I make the music that I really feel in the moment where I record the song, and not some sort of music which fits this or that style just because it has to. My biggest influence on my guitar-playing style was my brother. He knew how to play brilliantly aggressive and yet melodic riffs. He also played in the two underground death metal bands, "Ametropie" and "INUI". He taught me the opening riff of "Under the Pale Moonlight" back then. It would have probably ended up on the next INUI album if he hadn't gotten sick. That's why I wanted to include it on his tribute CD.

Serial Metalbums: What are your plans for the future? Are you working on new material? Do you plan to release a full-length album?

Michael Heß: Unfortunately, not everything was positive while I was working on the Tribute EP. Some people changed their attitude towards me. People who also knew my brother. That disappointed me at first. Then I actually felt sorry for them because envy destroys a lot of people. Many people don't like it when people are happy. That gave me the idea to make an album where we will devote ourselves to this topic, among other things. Since Gonzalo Civita and Henrik Schaller immediately agreed, there will be a full album. We are working on it right now. I think the first single will be released in fall. We are very motivated and looking forward to it!

There will be some epic tales...




Previous Post Next Post