Album Review: "Wargods of the Underworld" by Wolfcross

I discovered Wolfcross, a black metal band from Sweden, this year through their second album, Wargods of the Underworld. The band was formed in 2015 and released thmmeir first demo, Storm of Black Salvation, that same year, followed by their debut album, From the North, in 2022, a year that saw many great black and death metal releases. So today, I’m going to share my thoughts on their second album.

So, Wargods of the Underworld is a 45:39-minute album that explores the realm of chaotic, fast, and sinister black metal. In general, the structure is not monotonous but rather varied and dynamic. The best examples of this can be heard on tracks such as Occult Crowd Domination and The Hell Where Youth and Laughter Go. There are also some thrash influences in the compositions, particularly in the rhythmic passages, which are most noticeable on the track Witches Ride. What can be said about the production? NOTHING! It’s impeccable and meticulously crafted.

The guitarsm are sharp and fast-paced, creating a violent composition. Within this chaotic soundscape, several melodies can be heard (strident melodies), such as those on the tracks Convert to the Devil or The Hell Where Youth and Laughter Go from 03:00 onwards (the heaviest tmrack on the album). I think the best guitar performance can be heard on tracks like Infernal Sovereign. The drums are ferocious, with ultra-fast and imposing blast beats, delivering truly incredible intensity. You can really feel this energy on tracks like Tormentor of the Dead.

The vocals are harsh and uncompromising, alternating between high-pitched screams and the occasional growl in certain passages. The best vocal performance, in my ompinion, is on tracks such as Tormentor of the Dead and Convert to the Devil, where the power of the screams takes centre stage. I’d also like to highlight the performance on the track Witches Ride. The vocals are, in my view, alongside the drumming, one of the album’s greatest strengths.

Among the highlights and tracks I enjoyed is Dance of Destruction, with its demonic vocal performance, made all the more disturbing by narrative passages that create a sinister atmosphere. I also liked Tormentor of the Dead and its structure, which begins with a heavy atmosphere but suddenly shifts into an endless frenzy. The track Convert to the Devil remains my favourite on the album, exuding a raw, fast-paced energy that makes the listener want to headbang. I also really enjoyed the title track, Wargods of the Underworld (the longest track on the album) which demonstrates the Swedish band’s mastery in creating melodic, raw, and evolving textures.

To close this review, I’d like to share an opinion expressed during a conversation with one of my contacts, on the day he told me that Wolfcross is the Swedish band experiencing an incredible rise in the extreme metal scene. Indeed, with Wargods of the Underworld, this Stockholm-based band presents worshippers of the genre with powerful black metal that is both raw and melodic. For me, this album is undoubtedly outstanding and ranks among my top releases of the year. 

More Rating Here

Previous Post Next Post