EP Review: "Live at Szene Wien" by Grim Justice


Grim Justice are a heavy metal band from Austria who have been active since 2010. The band have released three studio albums and are now a prominent figure on the Viennese heavy metal scene. Today, I’m going to write about their latest live release, entitled Live at Szene Wien, released via Running Wild Productions label in digital format and on digifile CD. This is my very first review in English of a live album on this blog.

The CD version of Live at Szene Wien features two sections: the first contains the audio tracks, whilst the second contains the videos for the same tracks. Throughout the five tracks, Grim Justice deliver classic heavy metal. The EP kicks off with the emotional intro to the track This Dark Soul of Mine, accompanied by the guitar’s harmonic notes, and lays the foundation for a live EP that’s set to get everyone moving their heads. I think the production is very refined, although the audience’s reaction isn’t quite prominent enough; it would have been better to include a bit more of the crowd.

The guitars are in melodic mode to create an engaging energy; you can feel the intensity of this energy across all the tracks, but it’s particularly striking on tracks like Hungry Wolves or in the meticulously executed solos, such as on Holy Sword. The drums maintain a moderate rhythm to support the melancholy created by the guitars. I also think the best drum performance is on Holy Sword, where the drums form the central element of the track’s rhythm section.

The vocals are sung with intensity and are truly powerful through their screams. I would say this is one of the elements that makes this live EP such a success. The best vocal performances, in my opinion, are on tracks like Hungry Wolves and Lady Death. It was the vocal performance that caught my attention and made me want to explore the rest of the band’s discography.

Among the tracks I really enjoyed were Hungry Wolves, which goes at a heavy pace and features vocals that deliver an amazing performance. I also enjoyed Curse of the Moon for its headbanging rhythm. My favourite track is undoubtedly Lady Death, a straight-up track with its repetitive riffs and ‘diabolical’ vocals that create a vengeful energy.

Live at Szene Wien is a live EP that I think is a really good one. The Austrian band has managed to make the most of their performance to deliver a heavy metal live EP featuring melodic moments that border on melancholy, combined with the raw energy of classic heavy metal. I think it’s an EP that will sound great at the end of the day when you’re heading home to relax.

More Rating Here

GRIM JUSTICE LINKS

RUNNING WILD PRODUCTIONS

Previous Post Next Post