Album Review: "Veneration" by Vircolac

Vircolac is a death metal band that I discovered by coincidence at the beginning of the year through their album Veneration, released in 2024 via the American label Dark Descent Records. The band formed in 2013 and hail from Dublin, Ireland, they released their debut album, Masque, in 2019, which has received positive reviews on Metal Archives (an album I haven’t listened to yet). Before talking about the music, I’d like to say a few words about the artwork, which I find particularly striking, as well as the old-school aesthetic of the band’s photos, which reminded me of bands like Grave.

Veneration is an album that gradually evolves. It begins with female vocals on The Lament (I Am Calling You), whilst at the same time, a menacing and dark atmosphere takes hold. Generally speaking, the Irish band presents a death metal album, but one that progresses towards a strong black metal approach, creating passages and an atmosphere true to the genre, as on the tracks Unrepentant and She Is Calling Me (I. War II. Death III. Redemption). Other passages are more in the realm of doom metal during the heaviest moments and the more subdued passages where the bass resonates with a heavy, rumbling sound, as on the track Veneration, but it is on Our Burden of Stone on Bone that the doom metal approach is at its most pronounced (particularly at the start of the track). Indeed, as the track progresses, it blends the above-mentioned genres to perfection.

The guitars are sharp and crisp, shifting between mid-tempo passages and faster-paced outbursts, as on Our Burden of Stone on Bone from 2:03 onwards. The track Reflection showcases the ferocity of the guitar riffs. There are also a few subtle melodies, either in the solos or as brief melodies in the background. The drumming is organic and often imposing across almost all the sections that make up the tracks. Black metal influences on the drums are audible at the beginning of the track Unrepentant, on All Comes to Pass, Nothing Shall Remain and on She Is Calling Me (I. War II. Death III. Redemption)

The growls are very much present and forceful, with higher-pitched screams, though they seem to retain a certain monotony. The mix brings the vocals to the fore, allowing them to dominate the soundscape. The best vocal performance, in my opinion, is on the tracks Our Burden of Stone on Bone and Reflection.

Some of the moments and tracksI liked, I particularly enjoyed the drumming on Unrepentant, as well as the screams from 3:00 onwards. The guitar solo on Our Burden of Stone on Bone is also a moment I really liked. My favourite track remains All Comes to Pass, Nothing Shall Remain, whilst the guitar solo on She Is Calling Me (I. War II. Death III. Redemption) from 7:09 onwards also made a big impression on me.

So, having discovered the band, I was expecting death metal, but to my surprise, this album is different from what I’d imagined, a successful fusion of black/death and doom metal. It’s a visceral and dark album that I enjoyed from the very first listen. Vircolac doesn’t create a new style with this album, but offers a very interesting soundscape for fans of extreme metal.

More Rating Here


Previous Post Next Post