Pre-release Review: “Peril Of Freedom” by Djevelsort

Djevelsort is a new name on the Norwegian extreme metal scene. This project, hailing from Hamar, is set to release its debut album, Peril Of Freedom, on 28 August via the Italian label Dusktone. The band describes itself as ‘a representative of the new evolution of Norwegian black metal’. It’s up to you to discover this for yourselves! I’ve been lucky enough to listen to this album twice before writing this, so this review may not be final, and I may write another one as I listen to it more.

Peril Of Freedom is an album featuring seven tracks through which the band delivers a highly intense brand of symphonic black metal. There are frequent tempo changes, and the keyboards add an epic atmosphere. Old-school influences, such as those of Dimmu Borgir, are evident on tracks such as The Forest’s Foul Embrace, The Old Sand and the title track, The Peril Of Freedom. As for the production, it is modern, and the mix showcases all the instruments, particularly the bass, which is often pushed into the background in black metal.

The guitars are fast-paced, with cutting riffs. The band favours a raw sound over a harmonious one, but melodies are also present in a few melodic sections. The bass takes centre stage on the track The Forest’s Foul Embrace, particularly from 1:57 onwards, and on the track Escape. The drums serve to amplify the intensity that envelops this palpable atmosphere, with rapid blast beats executed with surgical precision. It is on The Old Sand that the drums really come to the fore with a rhythmic performance right from the opening seconds. Throughout several passages on The Peril Of Freedom, the drums deliver a martial performance to add an epic touch.

The vocals evoke an ominous feeling with their high-pitched screams, which are balanced by moments of whispering that add an mysterious touch, as on the track The Voice or The Old Sand. Although, on my first listen, the vocals seemed a little monotonous, on my second listen I felt that the performance was a little richer, particularly on the track The Peril Of Freedom.

Among the moments and tracks I enjoyed the most is The Voice, for its vocal performance and intense atmosphere. On The Forest’s Foul Embrace, I really liked the structure and the way the sections are arranged; I think this track is one of the most remarkable. I liked the track Escape for its balance between quiet moments and ferocity, intense drums and melodic bass (it’s my favourite track on the album). There’s also The Peril Of Freedom, a heavy track with moderate tempos, but one that exudes enormous intensity.

On their debut album Peril Of Freedom, the Norwegian band Djevelsort present a symphonic black metal sound rooted in an old-school atmosphere, particularly that of the genre’s pioneers, such as the early Dimmu Borgir or even Limbonic Art at times, combined with modern production and structure, whilst introducing their own unique epic and atmospheric elements. This is an album that will surely need to be listened to again to be fully appreciated.

More Rating Here


Previous Post Next Post