Negative Plane are a black metal band who have preserved their underground spirit ever since their formation in 2001. They’re one of my favourites on the North American scene (a band I feel is somewhat underrated). For today’s review, I’m going to talk about one of their masterpieces, Stained Glass Revelations, released in 2011 via the label Invictus Productions. It is the album of their discography, at the writing of this piece, has received the highest number of reviews on Metal Archives. Although these reviews are varied, one thing is certain: Stained Glass Revelations has certainly made a name for itself.
This is the band’s second album and it falls within the occult black metal genre, combining macabre aggression with a chilling atmosphere. The album has a ceremonial feel, with a few touches reminiscent of a dark symphony. To intensify the occult atmosphere, the band uses instruments such as keyboards, piano and bells. At certain moments on the album, such as on All Souls from 3:50 onwards, I felt I could hear atmospheres reminiscent of Mortuary Drape. The mix and production are dense and clear, avoiding the pure raw sound often associated with traditional black metal.
Distorted guitars follow one another in a direct, raw sequence, with chaotic rhythmic transitions that come without warning. There are strident melodies, such as on Lamentations And Ashes from 2:56 onwards. Rock influences are also audible, as on Angels of Veiled Bone. The bass is not isolated and features prominently, providing intense sonic depth, even if at times it does more than simply follow the rhythm of the guitars.
The drums deliver a continuous series of blasts, creating a sombre and chaotic atmosphere. They also feature heavy, slow beats throughout several passages. The drums really come into their own on tracks such as The Number of the Word, with an unapologetic aggression. The vocals are devoid of compassion, offering a ceremonial and occult spectacle, ranging from high-pitched screams to a display of arrogance. The best vocal performance is, in my opinion, on tracks such as The One and the Many. On The Number of the Word too, the vocals take on a bestial form, preceded by sinister whispers, thereby intensifying the chaotic atmosphere.
The moments and tracks I particularly enjoyed were the ceremonial atmospheres and the sonic aggression on Angels of Veiled Bone. There’s also the track The One and the Many, which I appreciated for its brutal nature and strident vocal performance. I really enjoyed the arrangements on All Souls, a track with a nuanced structure that draws the listener into a soundscape that evolves from a calm rock passage towards mounting aggression and a frenzied outburst of instruments (without a doubt, this is my favourite track). The track ends with a hypnotic composition that I absolutely loved. I also appreciated the chaotic and unsettling atmosphere on The Number of the Word, an atmosphere that intensifies over the final three tracks, creating a veritable descent into hell.
With Stained Glass Revelations, the New York-based band Negative Plane present a chaotic, occult and ceremonial brand of black metal that is sure to appeal to fans of the genre. It is certainly not their best album, but I think it is through this album that many people first came to know the band. An album which I once said had been the subject of much discussion amongst my peers, even 15 years after its release.
![]() |
| More Rating Here |


