I’ve always loved death metal that explores or draws on themes from horror movies, and more specifically slasher movies. The death metal scene is full of bands working within this genre, and amongst them is Voorhess (for horror film fans, that goes without saying). A band I discovered two years ago and whom I interviewed. This French band released their third studio album, entitled Chapter IV, last year on the German label Fetzner Death Records.
Chapter IV is an old-school death metal album rooted in the style of the 1990s. This is evident on tracks such as Be(e) My Victim and A Rotting Feast. The intensity of the tracks never fails, offering a direct composition without trying to show off technical prowess. The atmosphere is morbid, and this comes across on tracks such as Pazuzu. The production is organic, simple yet highly effective, and gives value to every instrument and/or section.
The guitars are sharp and bring a raw edge to the composition, even though the band has opted for a mid-tempo rhythm. But they don’t stop there! Through solos, such as on Pazuzu, they add a melodic layer and diversity to the structure, creating more catchy sections. But it’s on God Ends Here that the guitars take on a more melodic approach. The bass isn’t brought to the fore enough, but it’s on A Rotting Feast that you can really feel it. The drums pound relentlessly and lend a brutal edge to the album. I think the drumming on Scream Again is the most remarkable.The vocals take the form of a morbid growl and do not venture any further into other forms. At various points throughout the album, piercing screams dominate the soundscape, as on The Gore Machine. I think the best vocal performance is on Be(e) My Victim which really lets rip with screams and a never-ending breath.
Among the moments and tracks I particularly enjoyed is The Gore Machine for its rhythm section. On Be(e) My Victim, I really appreciated the composition and the menacing atmosphere from 03:03 onwards, as well as the magnificent solo that follows. There’s also Scream Again, in which the band demonstrates impressive instrumental mastery. I also think it’s the most complex track in terms of structure (it’s my favourite song on the album). And I particularly enjoyed the drumming on God Ends Here from 02:04 onwards.
Chapter IV doesn’t reinvent anything. It doesn’t hold back and, above all, it gives the impression of being an album released in the 1990s. I don’t know how many times I’ve listened to it, but I remember that every time I do, my favourite track changes. For old-school death metal purists and horror move fans, this is an album I’d highly recommend.
![]() |
| More Reting Here |
Check out the album on Fetzner Death Records Website or on the Bandcamp below


