Album Review: "My Body to the Worms" by Mammon's Throne

Among the albums I’ve listened to and re-listened to several times this year is My Body to the Worms by the Australian band Mammon’s Throne. It was released via Hammerheart Records in digital, CD and vinyl formats. The album is on my list of the ten best releases of the year. It is the band’s third album, following Forward unto Flame, released in 2020, and Mammon’s Throne, released in 2023. It’s worth noting that the band began their career in 2018.

My Body to the Worms is an album I’d categorise as blackened/death doom metal. The rhythm is heavy and oppressive, with tempo changes that create quite distinct textures across different styles of extreme metal. The atmosphere is dark and menacing, with a slightly ritualistic feel at times. The mix features a resonant bass line and vocals that are pushed quite far forward. As for the production, I find it well-balanced without sacrificing the raw edge of the compositions.


The guitars are sharp, delivering a raw sound, and balance this aggression with harmonious notes, offering a melodic approach in certain passages. Solos are featured in certain sections, amongst the most memorable is the solo on Every Day More Sickened. The bass is very resonant and lends a doom-like feel as well as an immersive sound depth. The drums are organic, lending their intensity to the album, and imposing, particularly towards the end of the track Senseless Death.

The vocals take on the high-pitched tones typical of black metal, blending with deeper, more powerful growls. In other passages, the vocals are clear and sung, lending a dramatic dimension to these sections. And the best example of this nuance can be found on the track Departed.  I think this nuance is quite well thought out. I find that on Elixir, the vocals deliver one of their finest performances. 

Among the moments and tracks I enjoyed was the section on Senseless Death from 4:54 onwards, a calm rhythm with narration accompanied by melodic notes, creating a melancholic atmosphere. And I also liked the instrumental outburst from 7:14 onwards. I absolutely enjoyed the section from 5:46 onwards on Every Day More Sickened (one of the bleakest moments), and it’s actually my favourite track on the album. An Angel’s Grace is also a track to be celebrated for its rather complex structure. I also liked the rhythm section from 4:18 onwards. The structure of the track Departed is also quite complex, and I really liked how it evolves from a moment of calamity into an aggressive avalanche of black metal, first passing through a memorable solo that draws its inspiration from classic heavy metal.

My Body to the Worms is an excellent album that combines the aggression of black and death metal with the heavy elements of doom and sludge. Through this fusion, Mammon’s Throne delivers a soundscape rich in texture, whilst retaining a pronounced sense of aggression. I’m convinced this is an outstanding album and that it deserves more attention. I’ve found myself completely submerged in this album several times since its release.

More Rating Here

Previous Post Next Post