A few years ago, I was introduced to the Polish black metal band Czort through their album Apostoł, released in 2020. In 2024, the band released their third album, Monumenty, via the label Pagan Records. It had caught my attention from the very first listen. Today, the band is part of Poland’s emerging underground scene, offering an authentic and hypnotic brand of black metal.
On Monumenty, the Polish band delivers a black metal album featuring heavy sections alongside more rhythm-driven ones, with subtle transitions between the different sections. The album also contains passages with an ominous and menacing atmosphere, such as on Oczyma monumentu from 3:17 onwards, or those heard on Antynatalizm boga. The album is both ceremonial and dramatic. The production is meticulous and clear, allowing the listener to savour the band’s various musical structures without getting tired.
The guitars blend harmoniously, creating captivating melodies, such as the one heard from 2:00 on Zjawa. The drumming is organic and rhythmic, with strong performances on tracks such as Kuźnia materii and Zmaganie rdzeniem istnienia. On tracks like 23.58.30, the drums initially exude a martial aura. The vocals are high-pitched but remain fairly intelligible, with some whispering in certain passages. The best vocal performance is, in my opinion, on tracks such as Cyborium zgnilizny i brudu and Ubóstwo, even if the vocals lack sufficient nuance.
Among the moments and tracks I enjoyed were the build-up on Zjawa from 3:24 onwards, which breaks the heavy atmosphere that preceded it, as well as the singer’s scream from 3:59 onwards. I really liked the atmosphere that emerges on Kuźnia materii from 3:47 onwards, it’s actually one of the most intense moments on the album. On Zmaganie rdzeniem istnienia, I really appreciated the way the track evolves into mature melodic sections and a rhythm that makes you nod your head. I loved the guitar solo on 23.58.30, as well as the drumming at the end of the track. My favourite track is Antynatalizm boga, I love its atmosphere and its malevolent aura.I remember that in 2024, Monumenty was one of the best releases I’d heard. It’s black metal with a melodic and atmospheric approach, as well as a structure comprising several distinct sections. I don’t consider it their best album, but it really caught my attention. I also find the album quite accessible. The sort of thing to listen to late at night, with the lights off (which, incidentally, is exactly what I do with this sort of album).
![]() |
| More Rating Here |


