![]() |
| This interview was made in collaboration with Running Wild Productions |
In this new interview, I talk with Kvein from Dea Artio about the origins of the project, its influences, and his strong connection with the Alps and Austrian nature. We also discuss Alpenwut, the fourth full-length album, as well as the reissue of Nebelfelder through Running Wild Productions. Kvein also talks about the evolution of Dea Artio’s sound, the Austrian Black Metal scene, and what the future may hold for the project.
Asmoth: Dea Artio was formed in 2020. What was the original idea behind the band when you started the project? Did you already have a clear vision of the sound and atmosphere you wanted to create, or did it develop gradually over time?
Kvein: Hello Asmoth and thanks for having me. The original idea of Dea Artio was to capture the athmosphere and feelings of various hikes in the alpine Mountains and Austrian nature I did back in 2020. The feeling of loneliness going through dark woods which Ive implemented musically in the albums "Nebelfelder" & "Zurück in die Waldwacht" grew into something bigger, something more powerful - like the presence of something lurking in the shadows of a mountain, making you feel like almost nothing, reducing or diluting ones ego.
Asmoth: Your music combines an aggressive approach to Black Metal with a strong sense of atmosphere, melody and even a cinematic quality. What are the main musical influences that have shaped the sound of Dea Artio? And are there any influences outside of Metal that have inspired you?
Kvein: As for me, I listen to a lot of Black Metal in its various forms and its sub-genres so maybe there is some Kind of "influence" subconciously, but what mainly influences my songwriting is my mood and state of mind at that particular moment, as well as the impressions and memories I take back home from taking a hike in nature, climbing a mountain, or the loneliness and peace i experience during a hunt.
Asmoth: Alpenwut is strongly connected to the world of the Alps, with themes of wild nature, power, mysticism and confrontation with one's own limits. What is your personal relationship with the mountains and nature, and why were they so important for the atmosphere and concept of this album?
Kvein: As a hunter and passionate mountaineer, I spend a lot of my "off-work time" in nature. It's where I can live in the moment, rest in serenity and free myself from any distractions and fucked up things that are happening in this messed up world.
Asmoth: Alpenwut is your fourth full-length album and comes several years after your previous release. What do you think has changed the most within Dea Artio during this period, both musically and in the way you approach songwriting and Black Metal?
Kvein: Alpenwut was a bit of an Experiment. I used a 7 string guitar and the songs were written in a different tuning than usual. I think this album is more on the heavy side and has overall more Death Metal influences, or "feel" to it yet it is still spiced with the typical athmospheric musical landscape Dea Artio has develpoed over the years since the "Zurück in die Waldwacht".
Asmoth: This year you also reissued Nebelfelder. Why did you decide to revisit this particular album now? Looking back, how do you see Nebelfelder today compared to what you are doing with Alpenwut?
Kvein: I grew a lot since the first issuing of "Nebelfelder". I wanted the Album to be on the same quality and recording standard as "Alpenwut" & "Zurück in die Waldwacht". You can hear and notice it by the usage of synths & immersive sounds, as I actually initially envisioned it. So I wanted to do justice to this album, and reissued it as it was always meant to be.
Asmoth: Both Alpenwut and the Nebelfelder reissue were released through Running Wild Productions. How did your collaboration with the label begin, and what made you want to continue working with them? How important do you think small and independent labels are to the Metal underground today?
Kvein: "Nebelfelder" was the first release with RWP ( and RWPs first overall release as well if I remember it correctly ). Rainer contacted me, and wanted to release my material in physical form. I've always felt fully supported by Rainer & RWP and knew my work to be in good hands, even if there were some ups and downs, mainly when it came to meeting deadlines.
Asmoth: The Austrian Black Metal scene has developed a rather distinctive identity, with bands taking very different approaches to the genre. How do you see the current Austrian scene? Do you feel that there is still a real sense of community between bands, labels and fans within the underground?
Kvein: I really can't say much about this, since I lack any time to visit concerts or festivals, but there are for sure some uprising austrian black metal bands such as GRAUFAR and WELTENBRANDT, who do their shit right and kick some serious ass!
Asmoth: Finally, after the release of Alpenwut and the reissue of Nebelfelder, what are the next goals for Dea Artio? Are you planning to focus more on live shows, new material, or perhaps explore new musical directions on your next release?
Kvein: I never intended Dea Artio as a full live band experience, but with the right musicans...who knows? It all depends on how much time and energy I will be able to give to Dea Artio in the future. That being said, something new is already growing slowly in the mist of mountains presence, blacker than its darkest shadow to astonish and immerse fans of Dea Artio..
