Album Review: "Viasna" by Arvo

Today, we’re going to Belarus. This country has a strong extreme metal scene, particularly in black metal, but it isn’t covered enough in fanzines. Arvo is one of those black metal bands that might interest worshippers of the genre. Since its formation (the date is unknown on Metal Archives), the band has released two EPs, Raven in 2024 and Black Fire in 2025, as well as two albums, Letter of Death in 2024 and Viasna in 2026. The latter, which is the subject of this review, was released in digital format and as a CD digipak.

Viasna is a 33:46-minute album featuring seven tracks. The Belarusian band presents an atmospheric and melodic black metal album. The melancholic atmosphere created by the keyboard notes is evident right from the opening track, Switanak. There are also some folk elements woven into the compositions. Violin notes are also audible, such as at the end of the track Abrad or at the beginning of Viasna. There are also passages featuring acoustic guitar, such as at the end of Piarun. For more, the ritualistic atmosphere present on Istoki adds a dark edge to the composition.

The guitars move at a heavy tempo, whilst harmonic melodies accentuate the atmosphere created by the keyboards. The best guitar performance is, in my opinion, on Istoki, particularly during the last two minutes, with a captivating melodic approach, as well as on Ciareszka. The drums aren’t pushed to the forefront, although they’re present throughout the album. They really come to the fore on tracks such as Istoki, Ciareszka and Viasna.

The vocals are high-pitched, exuding not ferocity, but a repellent aura. The vocals also display a nuanced performance, featuring growls and narrative passages, as on Piarun. The best vocal performance, in my opinion, is on Ciareszka and Viasna, where it is powerful and impressive.

Among the standout moments and tracks, I particularly enjoyed Piarun for its vocal performance and composition, especially from 5:12 onwards. I’d also like to highlight Ciareszka, it’s a powerful piece. I particularly appreciated the way its structure evolves and gradually takes shape. My favourite track is Viasna (I added the song on Black Metal - Serial List on Spotify) I think it’s the standout track on the album in every respect: its raw composition, enhanced by the violin, and its powerful vocals.

On Viasna, the Belarusian band Arvo present a well-thought-out black metal album. It’s not just raw, but also incorporates folk, melodic and classical elements. I also think the album is well-crafted in terms of its structure; it takes you on a journey through different soundscapes. I’d say it’s an excellent album, and I’d love to hear what worshippers of the genre think of it.

More Rating Here

Previous Post Next Post